[Scottish] Thursday Night Update

Graeme Mathieson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 9 09:44:00 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:50:11AM +0100, Ian Drake, IT, CIR, SE Dunbartonshire wrote:
> Oceania? Isn't that a group of islands from the continents of Asia and
> Australasia?

OK, how many continents are there and what are they?  The only useful
thing Google turned up[1] was that only 15% of people in the UK are able to
name all seven continents.  It neglected to say what they were.  I get
America, Europe, Asia, Antartica and Africa.  I'd thought Oceania was a
sixth but I'm reliably informed that it and Asia are Australasia (unless
you're American).  And from the look of the world map on the wall in the
office[2], there is is a ridge connecting Australia to Asia so that
sounds reasonable.

So, what's 6 and 7 then? :-)

[1] http://www.parents.org.uk/index.html?news_continents.htm&2
[2] What are we doing tonight, Pinky?