[Scottish] RH8.0 vs MDK8.2 (Linux by any other name just isn't Mandrake)

Ian Drake, IT, CIR, SE Dunbartonshire scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 10:18:01 2002

Don't ask why, but I was in PC World last night and I bought two =
things.
RedHat 8.0 and a SITECOM PCMCIA WLAN Card (only =A345 and it's Orinoco =
- works
fine in Linux, unlike my NetGear which I just doesn't seem to want to =
play)

I haven't used RH since v5.1 (and the only cool thing I liked then was =
the
"redneck" option for install language). Lately I've installed quiet a =
few
different distros on my laptop to try them out and try and settle down =
on
one. RedHat isn't the one I'll be staying with! Everything went fine, =
it's
running KDE (I tried Gnome, I just don't like it) picked up the =
soundcard
and the WLAN card without a problem. I just don't like the feel of it. =
It
seems *MUCH* slower than the same laptop running Mandrake 8.2, the =
graphics
(set to 1024x768x24 on both distros) seem chunkier and more patronising =
in
RH. The only thing I liked about it was evolution. Do I have to pay for =
this
if I want to install it on MDK, or is it OpenSource?

Maybe I should waste more money on the latest SuSE, I haven't installed =
that
since version 6. I would be tempted to install RH on my webserver which =
is
much in need of a rebuild, but two things turn me off to that idea - 1)
Redhat seems to be a very big target for l33t skr1p7 k1dd13s 2) I've =
already
decided upon http://www.sourcemage.org/ for that task, the spells are =
pure
magic! (pun fully intended)

Is anyone else starting to dislike RH?

Rgds,

Ian

PS The lack of Scottish cities in the time zone settings doesn't do a =
lot to
endear itself to me!!!

________________________________________________________________________=

Scottish Enterprise Network
http://www.scottish-enterprise.com

Headquarters Address & Contact Numbers

150 Broomielaw
5 Atlantic Quay
Glasgow
G2 8LU.
Tel:  +44 (0) 141 248 2700.
Fax:  +44 (0)141 221 3217

be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised =
recipients