[Scottish] BT 5861 Router question

Harry Sigerson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 12:49:00 2002

Rod,
    I run a LinkSys BEFSR41 router linked in just immediately after my NTL
cable-modem supplying broadband 512up/128down. It runs a couple of computers
and could run a lot more. I've forgotten that it's there it's so trouble free.
    At the time I purchased it and set it up, doing all those good things that
Rob Schneider was asking about, I did not have much of a clue and was just
following the book.
    I did discover that the manufacturer, LinkSys, had a very good website with
essentially the whole installation instruction set for the unit online; it was
largely the same as the booklet that came in the box but there was a lot more
on the site; such as the flash upgrading of the unit's chip.
    So is there a manufacturer's name plate on that 'BT' router you have?
Perhaps you can find such a web page for the unit?

    Harry.

In article <5.1.0.14.2.20020903112531.02ff9eb0@mail.spamcop.net>, Rod McCall
wrote:
> I've just inherited a BT 5861 router. Basically I need to know is it
> possible to use it with an ADSL provider other than BT? The reason for
> asking is that I ain't got ADSL yet and if this works then I may consider
> it. I notice when it starts up via the webpage that it says its connecting
> to BT.

VA   5.51 build 315,
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:39 +0100  Win98SE