[Scottish] BT 5861 Router question

Robert Lazzurs scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 13:23:01 2002

--=.D?Di'frPrjBUtN

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:27:29 +0100
Rod McCall <rodmc@runrev.com> wrote:

> I've just inherited a BT 5861 router. Basically I need to know is it
> possible to use it with an ADSL provider other than BT? The reason for
> asking is that I ain't got ADSL yet and if this works then I may
> consider it. I notice when it starts up via the webpage that it says
> its connecting to BT.

Should not be a problem.

BT is the ones that run the adsl network so everything goes through
them, the way ADSL knows what ISP to send you to is in the user name, so
if I had a demon adsl account then the username would be
lazzurs@demon.co.uk for adsl and that is what should go into the router.

Note however these are not great routers, if they are disconnected for
any reason they are not great at reconnecting and they will require a
reboot to reconnect.

Also that is more than lightly the property of BT and I would not
suggest telling them you have it or they will take it off you.

Take care - RL

--
MSN:lazzurs@everybuddy.com	|"All that is etched in stone
Yahoo:admroblaz AIM:admroblaz	|is truly only scribbled in

--=.D?Di'frPrjBUtN

--=.D?Di'frPrjBUtN--