[Scottish] Linux advocacy - $199 PC with Linux in USA

Aidan Karley scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 20:31:00 2002

In article <H00000660012eb05.1031144091.Lonmay.wew.co.uk@MHS>,  wrote:
> Wal*mart USA (www.walmart.com) owner of Asda
> stores, and crusher of small retaillers is currently offering a range of
> PCs running Lindows or Mandrake starting at $199 (approx 125 UKP).

       Old news we know (saw it on /. months ago), but has anyone seen one
of these boxen in the UK? I've had two friends harassing me for sources of
cheap boxen in the last week, and this does sound in the right price range.
Is the kit supplied any use? One of the guys is whimpering about trying to
run stuff on a 486 w/ 16MB and a 640x480 screen, so if the spec is
significantly higher than this, it could be a handy thing to know about.

--
 Aidan Karley,
 Aberdeen,  Scotland
 Bored? You will be at www.karley.org