[Scottish] OT: BeOS

Gavin McCord scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 8 22:43:00 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 14:11, Graeme Mathieson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 02:35:15PM +0100, Gavin McCord wrote:
> > I'd like to record video using my bt848 TV card, but my current system
> > just doesn't cut it under Linux.
>
> Have you tried the low latency patches[1] for Linux?  They were
> originally developed by Ingo Molnar, but the URL below appears to be the
> current version.  You might want to google for other alternatives.
>
> [1] http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html
> --

I can record at 352x240 and the output is almost acceptable, but there's
still quite a few dropped frames. In addition to trying the patch I
increased the number of buffers the bttv driver uses, and there's a
definite improvement. But I think I'll still give BeOS a go, to squeeze
as much as I can out of this box.