[Scottish] Modem autoanswer

Janice scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 13:12:01 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 07:53, Colin McKinnon wrote:

> Me neither but I love a challenge! Have you checked that it is the modem
> which is auto-answering - i.e. you're not running (e.g.) mgetty on the
> serial line? (Check in /etc/inittab for a line containing /dev/modem or
> /dev/ttyS*).

Found in /etc/inittab
# warning: the line containing agetty will be overwritten by SuSEconfig
# unless CHECK_INITTAB in /etc/rc.config is set to "no"
#
#S0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt102

also found in /etc/innitab
# modem getty.
# mo:235:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty -s 38400 modem
# fax getty (hylafax)
# mo:35:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/modem

in /etc/rc.config found:
CHECK_INITTAB="yes"
and
MODEM=""
(I wonder if I should I change this to MODEM= "/dev/ttyS0" ?)

I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56e memory (SUP2650)

I have discovered that this modem has 2MB memory and has an answering machine
facility (another 4MB can be added). The LEDs for memory and voice flash on
and off in "independent mode" when the computer is switched off. I think this
is because the answer machine facility is activated and the memory is full. I
think I need the modem software.
The guy I bought the modem from is going to look for his software disk, since
the driver and firmware that I downloaded (to my windows machine)don't seem
to work (the modem didn't respond during flashing and the modem setup program
also stops responding after choosing the country).
The interesting thing is that the modem did not autoanswer while attached to
the windows machine.
There is also a remote control feature in this modem. Unfortunately I don't
know the access code, and neither does the guy who sold me it. I don't think
he ever used these extra facilities.

regards
Janice