[Scottish] Time - The Missing Frontier (Sorry for the Star Trek Reference)

Phil Deane scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:45:01 2003

Hello Folks

I have a bit of a problem. My system is loosing time.

I dual boot Mandrake 9.1 and Windows XP Pro (XP is for her).

We have noticed that the timing is going wrong somewhere, and it seems to be
Linux (hated to admit that to her!)

I normally leave it in Windows all night (Virus Checker kicks in at 4am)

But the other night I left it in Linux and the next day I noticed the clock
was out by about 8 mins. (not the first time it has been out)

My Computer is usually never off, and the motherboard is only about 2 months
old at most, so I doubt it is the battery.

But somewhere the timing is dropping.

I posted some newsgroup messages last night, and rebooted into windows, all
seems fine, rebooted into linux this evening, to check email etc, and found
my date was still at 27th August, but the year was 2020?!?!

I have to admit I am stumped. I am not the most techie linux user anyway, I
know what I know and that is usually enough, but this is weird

Any advice or instructions what to do, logs to post etc gratefully received.

Thanks in Advance

--

Phil Deane
http://www.MiracleExpress.force9.co.uk