[Scottish] slightly OT question

Huard, Elise - D C&W Consultant Elise.Huard at sbs.siemens.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 15:25:32 GMT 2003

Hi,

i have a question that is not completely Linux related, but you might be
able to help : how to compare 2 objects (compiled but not linked/built)
under Unix (AIX in this case).
The problem is that we're working with a rather complex source tree (not my
idea) , and some branches are going to merge : only the thing is to prove
that the sources only vary in insignificant ways, like extra blank spaces,
lines, comment and maybe some precompilation replacements (like macros).
So the solution that we kind of fancied was to compare the compiled
equivalent, that is the object.
We need a comparison tool for object that will not take the timestamp into
account.
Any ideas ?

(unfortunately our client is extremely bureaucratic, and so installing
external tools, let alone proving something to them with an external tool is
out of the question, so it has to be an AIX appliance)
(we do have perl, c, korn shell and other standard things though)

Thank you,

elise

PS : i keep on thinking of coming to the meets, but when i'm not in some
other part of the country, there's usually something else going on (like
catching up on couch-time :-) ).  So i don't really think i have a vote
there : but I would be more in favour of a Linux meet with talks, like Ben
Thorp is suggesting.

This email and any accompanying files are confidential.      If you are
not  the  intended recipient  you  must not use,  copy or disclose the
content.   If you have received this email in error please contact the
sender by return email and delete this message.
Thankyou for your co-operation.