[Scottish] The Future of the LUG (was: Re: Next Meeting)

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 9 21:49:12 GMT 2003

First off, apologies Tony, I forgot that when you reply to a post on the list
it goes back to the original poster.

> On Tuesday 09 Dec 2003 14:40, William Anderson wrote:
> > Is it time perhaps to rename ourselves the Glasgow LUG?  Also, the
> > Scottish LUG could be reused as an umbrella organisation, perhaps uniting
> > the other LUGs in Scotland to form a larger community ... This could be
> > an excellent way of getting LUGs to work together in a variety of ways,
> > maybe encouraging other LUGs to be formed to cater for local communities
> > where there is no LUG (Inverness? Oban? Ayr? Orkneys?) and would allow
> > ourselves to refocus on the task of being a user group for Glasgow, and
> > not the whole of Scotland.

I don't think there's any need to dismantle Scottish LUG; while I'd hate to
think that it would be perceived as disincentive to people starting other
local LUGs, I don't believe that is the case. Also, they're welcome to call
themselves the Scottish Linux Users Group too! Although there has been of
grass roots activism and (geographical) community based projects, AFAIK none
have got off the ground yet.

If anyone does want to start a project, then please announce it here - there
seems to be lots of bodies willing to help within the constraints imposed by
availability, transport and money.

> I personally have been humbled and astounded by the membership of our LUG,
> both by the amount of knowledge we all have as a whole

Me too. There are a lot of very capable people out there. There are many who
have expertise in particular areas. Some of you have been kind enough to
research, prepare and give talks on your areas of expertise.

I'd like to think that I'm reasonably well informed on some matters, but what
does everyone else think? What would you like to hear about?

Top of my christmas wish list would be building a fault tolerant MySQL
cluster. Or implementing a LDAP directory with MS Windows integration. Or
distributed filesystems. Or...

Some time ago I offered to give a shortish talk on IDS. We had several jokes
about tory party leaders (OK, so the first 2 were funny). My offer still
stands if you think it would be useful.

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 19:40, Allan Whiteford wrote:
> Ian Ruffell wrote:
> > (e.g. my major concern still is the Access replacement - both Rekall and
> > Kexio are getting there, perhaps) but also to do with institutions and
> > processes.

Well, if you've taken the time to study them you are well placed to talk about
them ;)

> What's Kexio?

Kexi

See  http://www.koffice.org/kexi/screenshots.php