[Scottish] The Future of the LUG

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 12 22:44:50 GMT 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 15:06, Willie wrote:

> In the short-medium term, we aren't asking them to junk the MS desktops, we
> want them to consider
> (1)using the .RTF file formats
<snip>

(Is it Willie's inflamatory postings or the new Spam Law - this week my real
Email outweighs my Spam!).

Leaving aside the Linux Adovacy thing for a while, I think it makes
legislative sense to maintain documents in an accessible format for their
lifetime - we are all bound by laws hundred of years old. It'd be a bit
embarassing to have to explain that nobody knew the law because the
word-processor reported that the file format was invalid!

The three document management systems I've come across (apologies if I've
overlooked someone here Julian) are all intensively Microsoft based.

Anybody out there doing any serious archiving of electronic data?

Colin