[Scottish] My Views and Opinions on the Future of ScotLUG

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 24 00:09:29 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 12:10, Phil Deane wrote:

> Which is another good point. When you have a Event organiser, no one else
> is going to try and organise an event, because its not their job. Or if you
> have a fundrasier, then no one is going to try and raise funds, as its not
> their job, but "if it was my job then i would be doing XYZ"

Typical! I spend ages thinking up a new and exciting argument for the debate
and someone else:
1) beats me to it
2) expresses himself far more eloquently

;)

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 13:14, Chris Nicolson wrote:
> On the subject of what LUG should do, well that depends on what our aims
> and objectives are.
<snip>
> find the question or an answer:  What were the original aims of ScotLUG?
> Or at least, in your opinion why do we exist?

Sorry, Chris, but like with an awful lot of the metaSlug conversations that go
on, I don't think we need more questions - we need more answers.

A couple of weeks ago I offered to give a talk and listed some of the things I
would like to hear talks about, both were intended as a positive contribution
to the debate regarding meeting structure. Continuing in that vein, I cannot
answer your question. Although I was there at the time, the path seemed to be
forged collectively, progressively and by consensus - I don't recall there
ever being a master-plan. What I hoped to get from the UG, was to meet people
with similar interests, share technical problems and perhaps contribute both
to the open source community and the wider (but local?) community.

In some areas SLUG has done well. In others, not so well.

Even if there was a clearly defined agenda - does it matter? What's important
(IMHO) is what SLUG should be offering today and in the future. In answer to
this question (and again, its my answer, and I look forward to hearing what
answers other people offer) my aspirations for SLUG have not changed.

What do you want from SLUG / ScutLUG/ A.N.Other UG?

Colin