[Scottish] samba

Graeme Boyd scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 15:58:01 2003

Hi Bob,

Do you want to access the windows box from Linux?
Do you want to access the Linux boxes from Windows?

You only need Samba running for the latter.  Suse probably has Samba
installed in which case all you need to do is write an smb.conf file
which is quite easy.  I just edited the default file.  Once that's done
you need to ensure Samba is started at boot.

The only difficulties with Samba stem from password encryption (which
changed for Windows 2000) and remembering to setup the passwords for the
users connecting correctly with Samba.

Samba tutorial:
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-unofficial-multiple.html

I suggest you post your smb.conf file and details of error messages if
the link doesn't help.

Graeme