[Scottish] Media Player

Allan Bruce scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 27 14:34:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Deane" <phil@miracleexpress.force9.co.uk>
To: <scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Scottish] Media Player

> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 4:53 pm, Gavin McCord wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 16:38, allanmb@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
> > > What media player does everyobdy use?
> > > I am hoping to find one that will play divx/xvid/vcd/svcd/mpeg2
> > > Is this too much to ask?
> > > Thanks
> > > Allan
> >
> > mplayer - http://mplayerhq.hu rocks.
>
> I have to admit I like Xine, Never tried it on Divx, but plays VCDs
perfectly,
> Mplayer for me has never worked right, seems very clunky, and I have a lot
of
> problems getting good sound on it, or any sound in certain cirscumstances.
> All the Facia's for it are a bit complicated wereas Xine is simple and
works

I tried mplayer from source - took about 4-5 minutes to compile :-o
Anyway, it crashed while trying to use fullscreen mode, so I`ll give xine a
shot.

On another note, does anybody know how to make Linux use the extended ASCII
character set?
I have re-written my game (hexmine) in c++ and under windows I used some
chars in the range 128-255 but under standard shell these all come out as
'?'s.
Thanks
Allan