[Scottish] If you had a choice between...

Gavin McCord scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 19:33:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 19:31, Aidan Karley wrote:
> In article <3E253F32.4030408@experimentalmonkey.co.uk>, George wrote:
> > I am thinking of trying another linux distro. Up to now it's mostly=20
> > been MD with a touch of Gentoo thrown in. My choices are Red Hat or=20
> > SuSe. Any recommendations
> >
>        A minor point from me: if you're buying, do you think that the=20
> political aspects of ensuring that (say) PC World get a regular=20
> <caching!> of the cash registers for Linux products are worthwhile?=20
> While I don't visit the place regularly (except to see what's in the=20
> "Manager's Specials" pile, i.e. returned goods), I noticed that Linuxes=20
> disappeared off the shelves about the time that Xecerable-P came out,=20
> but it's back now (Mandrake, SuSe, RedHat, one copy of Caldera).
>        As for which distro: I've used both SuSE 7.1, several Mandraken=20
> and RedHat. I'm agnostic.
>       =20
> --=20
>  Aidan Karley,
>  Aberdeen,  Scotland
>  Written at Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:08 GMT, but posted much later.
>  Present location: 57=BA10'11"N, 02=BA08'43"W (sub-tropical Aberdeen)

I haven't bought much from PC World. I don't think their stuff is that
great; what I've had hasn't been any better than what I've purchased in
Priceless or Infiniti or by mail order.

The Finnieston store I haven't been in lately, but usually service is
poor and stock display is a dogs dinner.

However, it's still a well patronised establishment, and presumably a
first port of call for a lot of people, so having distros on sale there
can't but help awareness of Linux.
=20
--
gav