[Scottish] Good ISP for ADSL business and hosting?

Tam McLaughlin scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 10:48:01 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 10:28 am, Cameron Logie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps choosing the same ISP for access and hosting might not be the b=
est
> plan. If all your eggs are in one basket, there's not really much
> redundancy if things go tits up.
>
> I personally use Eclipse Internet ADSL Lite 500 service.
> (http://www.eclipse.net.uk)
> It's only =A326.73/month for 512/256 DSL at 50:1 contention.
> They also give you 8 IP's with that, provided you can justify the use o=
> them for RIPE.
> Uptime and availability have been excellent and there is no problem
> running incoming SMTP.
>
> Regards,
> Cammy.

I have considered this and thats one reason I want a good ISP that is les=
s=20
likely to tits up.
We currently have different ISPs but that has caused us problems.
Voyager networks who provide our Internet access stopped the newsfeed=20
without any warning because the ISP they got the feed from went bust.=20
They will not  provide a new newsfeed.=20
The ISP hosting our current web site (gael net) want to charge a reduced =
rate=20
of about =A3300 for 5 pages, the pages being held in some propriety templ=
ate=20
system called sitekit on an MS SQL server.

As we are no longer selling new policies, it is not as critical to have a=
=20
company web site that is accessible 24/7. In a few years, they will no lo=
nger=20
need a sys admin and we think it is better to have the same "good" ISP=20
looking after everything to make things easier to manage now and in the=20
future.=20
Hope that makes sense.=20

--=20
Tam McLaughlin
IT Systems Administrator
Scottish Legal Life Assurance Society Ltd