[Scottish] Using old Sun and HP boxes for Linux

Mike Quin scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 10:15:07 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:11:52AM +0100 or thereabouts, Keith Stenson wrote:

> I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience in using
> old sun and HP boxes with Linux. I'm thinking of picking up one to act
> as a test box to play about with but ultimately maybe using them as
> samba servers etc?

Linux seems to run very well on a lot of Sun kit, I've run Red Hat and
Debian on a SparcStation 2 in the past, and I've currently got Debian
running on an Ultra 5.

The last time I looked at linux on a HP9000 I found that it wasn't
terribly stable on the 712 that I was trying to run it on, but that
was a couple of years ago - things may have improved since then.

--
Mike Quin <mike@elite.uk.com> :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::