[Scottish] [OT} Ram

Phil Deane scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 22 22:20:01 2003

Hi Folks

I am ruining Mandrake 9.1, on a p3 800MHz with 320Mb PC133 RAM.

KDE 3.1 on startup takes about 25 seconds which although doesn't sound long,
seems to take an eternity. I know there are Wm's which load up quickly, but
Kde is what I like.

My system rarely uses my swap drive(640MB, twice the RAM as per Linus advice),
but I was wondering if adding more ram would speed it up any?

I have a Small amount of money, but not huge amounts, and want to make a
faster system.

I use Windows for capturing Videos and encoding takes an age, so I thought RAM
would help as well. A new MB and CPU would be nice but out of my price range
for the immediate term anyhow.

Anybody any suggestions?

--

Phil Deane