[Scottish] Need advice on setting up a Mandrake/Debian home network

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 16:06:03 2003

[Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

Hi Ben,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:30:01 +0000
"Ben Thorp" <THORPB@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

[salt and pepper]

> Nice names ;)

I know, they're not staggeringly original.. ;-)
(But I decided not to go for the obligatory Star Wars characters, etc!)

I spent some time racking my brains for a relatively original 'theme'
for my network, and eventually decided on herbs. If and when I get a
Mac, it'll be called 'garlic' as it keeps the vampires at bay :-)

> OK - on the Debian box you will probably need to edit your /etc/hosts,
> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to make sure things are nice 'n'
> secure.

I'll be extremely extremely bad and worry about security later(!).
This is just a dialup box, after all, not always-on.

hosts.allow|deny only contain some comments and an entry for leafnode at
present (which I'm not planning on sharing, anyway).

I will tighten up the security once I know that things are, at least,
working!

I've got both machines FQDNs and IP addresses in /etc/hosts on both
machines.

> You'll also need to ensure that your eth0 has been allocated
> it's IP address (ifconfig should help here).

That part seems fine.

> I think you will also need to setup iptables (or ipchains, I forget)
> for the internet sharing stuff.

<quickly Googles> iptables for 2.4.x kernels, apparently.
Hmm, gotta go search for some documentation. This looks like it'll be a
hassle.. :-(

> On the Mandrake box, you should be able to do all of this by the
> Control Center, IIRC. Your Gateway is going to be your Debian box.

Right, thanks for that.

Hmm, the control center is confusing me.

I've got salt's FQDN in it.
I've got the IP address of pepper as the gateway.
It claims to be not connected(?) although both machines *can* see each
other. I can even browse the web from salt using the wwwoffle web proxy
on pepper.

Clicking the 'connect' button (which I don't even understand why it is
there (and not ghosted out) - the two machines have an ethernet cable
fixed between them!) brings up another window with a big 'connect lan'
button. Pressing this makes it make some pretence of connecting (I don't
know why it needs to) but it then claims that it's not.

Even though all this time in the main control center window, there is a
'LAN configuration' section which proudly proclaims (at all times):
Interface  IP address    Protocol  Driver   State
eth0       192.168.1.11  static    8139too  up

Something somewhere is mightily confused, and I don't think it's just
me?!

> Your DNS server is likely to be the one provided by your ISP, unless
> you fancy running BIND on the Debian box ;)

Not really, no! *Far* too much like hard work!

> >This and further advice would be very welcome, thanks..
>
> Further advice? Don't eat the yellow snow.

And whatever you do, don't feed them after midnight :-)

Thanks for your advice..
It looks like I still have a bit of an uphill struggle, though..

David.

--
David Marsh, Glasgow, Scotland, N Europe. | http://web.viewport.co.uk/
<email valid @time of writing>, but reply to list preferred, thanks.