[Scottish] FW: VPN

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 10:25:01 2003

Keith Stenson wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've never setup a VPN before but am I right in thinking that all that=92=
>needed is the right software and two static ip addresses.
>
>I'm trying to help out a small community group set one up and they have
>received quotes for 11,000 upwards, although I never set a VPN up I
>always thought that it wasn't necessary to get special equipment.
> =20

erm....no. You only need one fixed IP - less if you have access to DDNS.=20
=A311,0000 ! SCANDALOUS! Last one I installed cost....lets see....oh yes,=
=20
I had to buy a BT Highway ISDN card for one end (the other end already=20
connected) so....=A325 + labour.

If you're a bit concerned about your skill level, then I'd recommend=20
getting a copy of 'Building Linux VPNs' (see=20
http://www.buildinglinuxvpns.net/) for full details, but there's a=20
potted guide on how to setup a VPN over stunnel (SSL) at=20
http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html which also has a link to a=20
page on doing the same thing with SSH.

One thing to watch out for is trying to run SMB across sub-nets (which=20
can be a total pig if you're using pre MAD domains and not using Samba).

Note that if one end only has a single PC running MS Windoze, you might=20
be easier using PPTP (don't use the Windoze box as the server!).

HTH

Colin
(still looking for a systems admin job :( )