[Scottish] FW: VPN

Miah Gregory scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 10:54:05 2003

In message <001f01c2ef8e$c914e720$6d01a8c0@Starla>
          "Keith Stenson" <kstenson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I've never setup a VPN before but am I right in thinking that all that=92=
> needed is the right software and two static ip addresses.

As has been noted previously, only one static ip address is necessary. Tw=
is a bonus, as you can then restrict the vpn connections on a host by hos=
basis, increasing security.

> I'm trying to help out a small community group set one up and they have=

> received quotes for 11,000 upwards, although I never set a VPN up I
> always thought that it wasn't necessary to get special equipment.

As is the way with a lot of things these days, you can often get both
software and hardware based solutions for the same problems.

> Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

If you have the luxury of two linux/solaris/bsd machines, one for each en=
of the link, then I can recommend vtun (<http://vtun.sourceforge.net/>),
which I use daily. Depending on what you want to do, it can be a little
fiddly to set up, but with a straight tcp based connection, it's pretty
simple.

--=20
Miah Gregory