[Scottish] Problems updating gtk+

Tom Shearer scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 21:45:01 2003

Hi.

I'm having problems upgrading the version of gtk+ on my linux box.

I've got Mandrake 9.0 on it, and I'm trying to install gtk+2.2.1 from a recent
Linux Format cover DVD. It's the first time I've done an upgrade from a
tarball rather than a rpm.

I've managed to get it unpacked, but when I run the "./configure" command it
checks various things before coming up with the error message

*** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is
*** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable
*** to the full path to pkg-config.
*** Or see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig to get pkg-config.
configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango
>= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find
them.

Where do I look to see if I've got the the pkg-config script? "which
pkg-config" doesn't come up with anything.
Am I likely to have to install anything else, e.g. atk or pango before it will
work properly ?

Thanks in advance
Tom Shearer

Email: mail@tomshearer.free-online.co.uk