[Scottish] Using PHP to parse simple 'text database'

Gordon JC Pearce scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon May 12 09:16:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 18:43, David Marsh wrote:
> Any PHP wizards out there?
> (And is it OK to ask PHP questions here?)
>
> I'm thinking of using PHP to populate webpages from some homebrewed
> 'text database' files (rather than go to the hassle of MySQL), so as
> to save me having to type in lines and lines of HTML.. ;-)

You might as well use a proper database for it.  It allows you to
generate pages in a very flexible way from a template, and isn't *that*
much hassle to set up.  Another thing you could try, if your content
doesn't change much and you want static pages, is using some sort of
macro expansion utility (like m4 or some such), and Makefiles.

HTH
  Gordon