[Scottish] Certification

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon May 19 23:21:01 2003

Gav wrote:

>Now that it looks like I'll be gainfully employed again soon, I'm
>thinking again about certification. Who amongst us is Linux
>certified and has it brought any particular advantages?

Brainbench certificates aside (let's not go there again) - not me!

(congrats Gav, will this be a paying job? - it looks like I might have
found a job too so at least I'm not unemployed now - more gossip in due
course).

OTOH I used to employ people and rub shoulders with other employers.
Wearing that hat.....

In my experience certification is kind of a strange fish (it doesn't
really prove IT skills, but getting a Microsoft / Cisco / Novell
interview without the relevant cert is a nogo). Most businesses still
view Linux as a strange fish. So to get certified in Linux would be like
strange ^2 fish.

Certainly there doesn't seem to be One True Linux Certification - like
distro's, I think this is a mostly a good thing. Other people may
disagree. The one area where I think plurality is not a benefit is where
you want to get a recognisable brand stamped on your CV.  Is this what
you want from certification? Employers often like putting their staff
through it as it provides an easily measured benchmark of capability. Or
are you interested in the education aspect of the processes?

IIRC from Tony's talk on the subject, the only mainstream, vendor
neutral Linux certification is LPI (Linux Professional Institute) and he
made the point that, since industry seems to command certification, we
should endorse Linux certification by participating.

OTOH AIR you know your way around a Linux box - unfortunately this may
not stand you in good stead as you may have to trudge through a lot of
learning materials most of which you may know inside out to fill in the
gaps. And there's also the possibility that you will see a different (or
even better) way of solving a problem that the examiner did not account
for in his/her marking plan.

So oddly enough (perhaps) if I were in your boots I'd look at Cisco
certification (which in addition to teaching you how to configure a very
expensive router does cover a lot of interesting network theory - and is
available as a free course for unemployed people from the Govan
Institute). Another one I would consider is the Sans Institute
(www.sans.org) program - which is primarily concerned with security (I
quite fancied this one and was in the process of convincing my boss that
it was a good idea when both our career prospects took a nose dive). And
let's not forget the MCSE - having spent the last couple of months in
battle with employment agencies is worth remembering that not all the
people between you and that job necessarily know as much as they should
about IT (the stories I could tell!) but Microsoft have done a wonderful
job of publicizing this qualification.

Certification aside - I'd strongly recommend anyone trying to find a job
in IT be able to produce tangible evidence of their skills
    - keep your own website looking nice and working properly
    - contribute to an open-source project
    - research and write a report (or even a book!)

HTH

Colin