[Scottish] Re: Weirdness

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Tue Sep 16 14:35:01 2003

William Anderson writes:

> Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Hello S.L.U.G,
>>
>> I have a debian fileserver that was playing silly buggers at me
>> earlier! It was complaining badly cos it's root filesystem was full,
>> which is not a bad complaint in itself, except that it's a 1.4G
>> partition and only has a couple of hundred meg on it! [snip]
>
> might wanna check you didn't have anything mounted on top of / hiding
> stuff - Kyle (bagpuss) can relate to this problem, we found the same thing
> on one of his boxen a couple of months ago

Yeah, that was fun. If memory serves me right, there was a cronjob running
every 5 minutes, firing off an rsync from one machine to /mnt/backup on
another. However, /mnt/backup hadn't been mounted correctly, and rsync was
just piling the data into the directory instead of the correct partition,
resulting in / filling up rather quickly :-p

Of course, since the rsync was still running when I mounted the partition
correctly, it still wrote to the old space until all rsync processes had
been killed and crontab had been left to start them again.

Regards

Kyle