[Scottish] Broadband: Made my Trigger

Cameron's Yahoo cameron_lochaber at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 01:17:09 BST 2003

Harry Sigerson wrote: >>    [In passing LinkSys has a wireless router out in
the U.S. that from 'real' firewalling stance is SPI; which I'm told by
someone who knows about these things says 'Stateful Packet Inspection' and
is a prerequisite of  'real' firewalling. <<

Harry, your friend only told you part of the story. The LinkSys BEFSR41 was
a 'real' enough firewall when Julia recommended it to you well over two
years ago. At that time, the Linksys BEFSR41 had the SPI (''Stateful Packet
Inspection') option which made it a real and viable firewall. The SPI
function was later removed by Linksys in the v1.43 firmware update, but at
the time you bought it, the router had the SPI function. I found in her
archive the e-mail where Julia directed you on how to configure the SPI
function. Julia wrote to you informing you how to set-up the firewall back
when you bought the router.
http://www.linksysftp.org/linksys.php
In v1.43 and beyond, the SPI option has been removed, so you won't need to
disable it. Don't forget to check the the "Enabled" check box on the right
side of each entry. (Not visible in screenshot)
For her clients who required the SPI and the firmware updates, Julia
recommended replacing their BEFSR41 routers with other models. As you know,
she did this work as a favour to her friends and didn't charge them for it.
Julia was a physicist, and never worked in any professional capacity as an
IT manager. She thoroughly researched each item she recommended and her
systems worked as designed.

She also recommended ZoneAlarm Pro as your software firewall. These were
sensible, low-cost options at the time for your Windows 98SE system when she
discovered you were connected to NTL cable, completely unprotected by any
firewall without even as much as an anti-virus programme. The Linksys
BEFSR41 along with ZoneAlarm Pro was sufficient for most people's (Window's
users) needs.

On our network she chose the Cisco equivalent of a bomb shelter as her
router on the other side of a Linux box. (I'm still trying to figure out
exactly how it all works because she wrote some of the code herself.) The
SCSI Windows CAD workstations she built have software firewalls as well.

A good source of wireless products in the UK is http://www.wireless4u.co.uk/
The last I saw, they were selling the Linksys WRV54G for £94.99 (exc. VAT).
You might also consider the D-Link DI-714P+, the Netgear WGR614 and the
Netgear FWAG114. Zoom and Netopia make nice routers too.

Julia didn't trust the security of wireless networking and its encryption
algorithms in situations where security is particularly important. There
were a few situations where she recommended that her clients stay with a
wired system.  For most people wireless is fine.

Returning to Phil's question, I prefer the ease of a router set to enable
DHCP IP allocation. That setup works for any PC plugged into the network no
matter the OS. With a router, once it is set up and working properly, and
you can forget about it. (For any Windows PCs on the network, it's important
to add a software firewall as well anti-virus.)

Cameron