[Scottish] Gentoo Kernel 2.6

Craig Perry user-gentoo at onemanstudfarm.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 22:24:30 BST 2004

Hey all,

I just upgraded to kernel 2.6 on gentoo and most things seem to be
working fine :) but there are a few questions...

ACPI
I'm running a laptop and i find APM to be annoying, it suspends the
machine every minute or so regardless of whether i'm using it or not.
Don't know if thats a config issue but i would definately prefer to use
ACPI anyway. I compiled ACPI into the kernel, but its not appearing in
/proc/acpi as it should. Any ideas? I imagine i still need  to install
acpid?

Wireless Card
I use a wireless network in the flat, the card works fine under 2.4 (its
a prismII chipset). Under 2.4 the Hermes and orinocco modules run it
fine. I realise these modules are now integrated in the kernel and this
seems to work fine. I have the latest version of cardmgr/cardctl
(pcmcia-cs). I'm just looking to find out if i need hotplug to init the
card on insertion of whether pccardd will sort this out? Is hotplug even
needed under 2.6 for usb sticks etc.?

Is there capabilty in the kernel somewhere to detect a media link on the
ethernet card. I know daemons exist for monitoring link status and
bringing up the interface when plugged in, but is this functionality
present in the new kernel?

Regards,
Craig

craig at onemanstudfarm.co.uk