[Scottish] August's Meeting (and Sept/Oct preview)

Ben Thorp thorpb at uk.ibm.com
Thu Aug 19 10:44:44 BST 2004

Ooops - sjmurdochs homepage is http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/

Ben Thorp

             Ben
             Thorp/UK/Contr/IB
             M at IBMGB                                                    To
             Sent by:                  scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
             scottish-bounces@                                          cc
             mailman.lug.org.u
             k                                                     Subject
                                       [Scottish] August's Meeting (and
                                       Sept/Oct preview)
             19/08/2004 10:44

             Please respond to
                 SLUG-list

August's meeting will be on Thursday 26th August. The first part of the
meeting is held in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences
Seminar Room (L13.18), Livingston Tower, University of Strathclyde, G1 1XH
from 19.30 to 21.00

The second part of the meeting occurs in The Counting House pub on George
Square from about 21.00

This month Steven Murdoch (sjmurdoch on IRC, homepage) will be giving 2
short talks:

    * "Using GIMP for fun and profit" - a look at techniques used in
proprietary graphics software to prevent currency forgery, and the
impending legal implications for Open Source graphics solutions.
    * "How I won an X-Box" - covert communications in programming
competitions.

By way of preview, we currently have talks lined up for September and
October - in September Kevin McDermott (bigkevmcd) will be talking on BSD,
and in October I (mrBen) will be giving a talk on Video Editing in Linux.

If anyone is interested in running the meeting in November, then please do
contact me - December is likely to be something Christmassy ;)

Ben Thorp