[Scottish] Do my homework for me please

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Thu Aug 19 13:51:01 BST 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk wrote:

> *******************************************************************************************************************************************************
> This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
> *******************************************************************************************************************************************************
>
> Hi folks
>
> I'm applying for a job supporting an office that has an AS400
> file/Database store, PCs using Terminal emulation and Peer to peer
> networking. Queries etc are done purely on the client, perhaps using
> Excel as the client interface
>
> Now they know they have to replace this stuff, and I'm pretty sure a
> Linux box with Samba would handle the file storage, and I'd investigate
> transferring data to MySQL if possible, with more server side
> processing. The data entry interface would have to be looked at, my
> usual default for that is web based so hello Apache and some form of ASP
> or CGI,
>
> But any advice on the networking side?

Don't use token ring?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I dunno, I guess the PCs are on an ethernet LAN running IP for P2P
file-sharing so would support your web application and samba shares. What
other networking do you anticipate? I suppose you might want to setup a
mail server and the likes and they could currently use some horrible
AS/400 based mail system.

Andrew