[Scottish] Do my homework for me please

Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Aug 23 17:07:28 BST 2004

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

> > This email and any files transmitted with it are intended
> solely for
> > the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
> >

> Woohoo a disclaimer at the top of an Email! It's almost sensible!

And from the Government too, scary!

> > I'm applying for a job supporting an office that has an AS400
> > file/Database store, PCs using Terminal emulation and Peer to peer
> > networking. Queries etc are done purely on the client,
> perhaps using
> > Excel as the client interface
> >
> (should you be annoucing this from an email address which
> appears to be
> provided by your current employer?)

The post would be a secondment from my current job for two or three
years. It's nothing as scary as going out into the real world.

> > But any advice on the networking side?
> >

> ASP ? That's Microsoft talk!

Sorry. I haven't got Linux in here yet. My day to day stuff is using Web
interface over a database using MS products. Linux is home, hearth and
workplace evangelism only :(

> like this would be the data-input part. IMHO there's
> (currently) no free
> RAD/4GL tools which are particularly good at fast turnaround
> compared with MS
> Access, Oracle Forms etc. (contact me off list for more info,
> or if anyone
> feels different post it here).

One of my gripes bompred to local VB (sorry for swearing) types is the
time I spend hand crafting interface etc in a souped up version of
notepad (Arachnophilia)

> Beyond that...what more do you want to know?

I don't know, yet. If I get called for interview then I may contact
y'all again to pick your brains.

Colin

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Energis in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free