[Scottish] Slightly OT: audio connections

ray rayH at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 09:11:10 BST 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 00:32, Colin McKinnon wrote:

CM> Anybody came across digital audio connectors using a 9-pin mini din connector?
CM> (looks like it's laid out for 10 pins but pin 3 on the last row is missing).
CM> The amp on my DVD/surround sound box only has this for an input.

These are used by some video cards and also cheap speakers from the likes of the Trust brand. I haven't come across them being used for digital audio (where I have seen 4-pin S-DIF and optical connectors), only analogue. They used to be used by Logitech bus mice, if you could find one of those in someone's "doesn't work, but might be useful for parts" box.

Alas my mini DIN collection only goes up to 8-pin and I cannot find the 9-pin in the Maplin, RS or any other component catalogue. I think that your choices might be either adding (an)other input connector(s) to your amp or buying a cheapo "Trust" speaker set for about £25 to get the included cable, which has a 9-pin mini DIN on one end and three 3.5mm jacks on the other.

--
ray