[Scottish] CL set up with D-Link 300G+

magnus lawrie m.lawrie at gmx.net
Thu Dec 9 17:46:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

LAN set up problems. I have the following:

Static IP address (apparently this is dynamically allocated, but always
comes out to be the same one)

300G+ adsl modem with local IP 192.168.0.1

CL with external network card (8139too driver) IP 192.168.0.2 on eth1
(CL config screen says this is UP (DHCP assigned)

LAN interface eth0 (via-rhine driver) IP 192.168.1.1 (CL config screen
says this is UP)

I have a Windows machine connected (straight through cable) on eth0 but
it reports that "a cable is unplugged" from CL I can ping locally to the
modem only on 192.168.0.1.

I also have the problem that the modem remembers only one MAC address at
a time, so maybe I need to reconfigure it for the CL machine(?).
Normally configuration is by access with a browser, which of course CL
does not include. What can I do about that?

This is the info I have from my ISP:
Encapsulation: PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC Based
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

The dns settings are;
primary: 217.72.162.2
secondary: 217.72.163.3

They also say:
"the gateway settings ... are not necessary, your router should only ask
you for these if you are setting the IP allocation to static. This is
not needed because the IP is dynamically assigned, but wont change."

--
I suspect this would all have be a lot easier if I had chosen a sensible
ISP like eclipse, but I went for ADSL4less supplied by Hotchilli.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
magnus