[Scottish] cp command question / supermount

Miah Gregory mace at darksilence.net
Thu Dec 16 19:27:40 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 13:57 +0100, magnus lawrie wrote:

> I want to copy files from /cdrom (root) to /home (user).

> I am just getting messed up with it. Can anyone tell me how to copy my files
> and change owner, not just locked and empty folders (why is it doing that?)

Or, an alternative solution might be to modify /etc/fstab and change
the /cdrom mount to something similar to this:

/dev/cdrom    /cdrom    iso9660    ro,user,noauto     0    2

NB: the only important bit above is the 'user' bit.

Now, when you mount /cdrom, instead of doing so as root, run the mount
command as 'user'. You'll be able to access and copy all the files off,
hopefully with no problems.

I've not looked at ubuntu/supermount, so can't advise about those.

--
Miah Gregory