[Scottish] The Future of the LUG

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Jan 4 20:44:10 GMT 2004

Willie wrote:
> [snip]
>
> If we do have a committee, it will take some thick-skinned and determined folk
> on that committee to keep it running right. Organising geeks is like herding
> cats (apologies to whoever I stole that line off). We all think we are bright
> enough to think we know better and we will all have differeent ideas n
> direction and emphasis of anything we choose to do.

I agree.  Trying to over-organise the lug is folly, but trying to expand
the range of activities we do has merit.

> That doesnt mean we shouldnt have  sub-groups ( I hesitate to call them
> committees) for those interested in advocacy or Installdays or whatever.
> I'd like to hear a list of suggestions for sub-groups if anyone has any
> thoughts.

Special Interest Group is probably a better term :)  Install Days and
similar events are definitely a good idea, but organising them can be a
bitch.  Perhaps linking with (semi-)professional LAN party organisers would
be useful there, and could provide an interesting cross-pollination of
membership and advocacy - increases awareness of Linux, Open Source, the
LUG, etc and provides a platform for a LAN party co to advertise, and
possibly pimp their own open source position if they have one.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like