[Scottish] Damn those pesky processess....

Jamie MacIsaac jmi at mackeysack.com
Mon Jul 19 22:32:10 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:09, Colin McKinnon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Something is producing rather a lot of load on some of my boxes. Idle time
> stays high (>95%) and the swap isn't getting used but there seems to be a lot
> of disk i/o. Can anybody suggest anything useful for tracking down the
> problem? Is iohog available on Linux (haven't found it yet....but looking)?

Don't know about iohog, but I had a very similar sounding problem last
month (even down to the high idle time, but the load average got way up
to about 17+). Antivirus software (Trend InterScan) on the mailserver
turned out to be the culprit[0] - anything like that a possibilty?

Regards,
jmi

[0] - best guess is that the scheduled pattern file change screwed
something up somewhere.

--
 Jamie MacIsaac [jmi at mackeysack.com]
 My GnuPG Fingerprint is 18-D3-92-70