[Scottish] Date/Time on emails, etc.

Colin Fraser colin.fraser at riverfern.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 12:19:00 BST 2004

OK, so I'm maybe inviting some flames here!

Why don't people synchronise the date/time on their machines? Am I just being
pedantic here or are there others who get annoyed reading replies to emails
apparently sent before the original post (I hasten to add this is not
particularly common on this list).

I remember when I first got an internet connection, way, way back in time. The
DOS software provided by the ISP (demon) did an ntp update automatically on
every connection and demon stated that this was mandatory for all internet
use to ensure everything was synchronised properly.

So, how about it folks? As linux users we should certainly be expected to be a
bit more aware of such issues and to do the right thing. It's not difficult
to set up a cron job to run 'ntp update' periodically, in fact if you use
WebMin it only takes a few mouse clicks.

Cheers to all,

Colin

Riverfern Ltd.
enquiries at riverfern.co.uk
http://www.riverfern.co.uk

This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose it to anyone else. Notify the
sender of the delivery error by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system. Unauthorised use or disclosure of this message is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.