[Scottish] Wireless range

Allan Whiteford allan at whiteford.org.uk
Fri Jul 30 02:08:53 BST 2004

Hi,

I could spend hours looking up technical specs but I'd expect to get a
better real world answer here.

How feasible is a wireless network connection over a range of around
250-300m, with "almost" a line of site. Looking at a house or two being
in the way. Will one of those omni things go that sort of distance
through/around houses (sandstone/slate/brick)? Can the gear be
boosted/directed and is it legal?

If the answer is yes or probably, how much would I expect to pay for the
kit required to get that sort of range? Ideally it'd be reliable and not
require pringles tubes mounted to rooftops. I'd only need a speed of ~
600kbps[1].

Thanks,

Allan

[1] It's no coincidence that 600kbps is the speed an NTL cable modem
goes at :).