[Scottish] DVDrw drives - advice?

neil sinclair neil.sinclair at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 8 22:48:40 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

I'm in the happy position of being able to buy a DVD writer - weyhey!!! But...

I need it to work with Win ME  and SuSE 8.2 on a dual boot system. **  It will
be used mainly for video writing and file system backups.

Can anyone give advice or recommend known good drives out there which would
fit the bill? As far as I can see, the lists suggest that any ATAPI DVDwriter
should work, so I should be OK.

My shortlist is:
  Sony DWU 14A
  Asus DRW0402P
  Optorite DD0401
  Liteon  LDW-401S

Of these, the Sony gives the greatest heartache - great reputation for build
and reliability, shocking reputation for compliance to standards.

Open to suggestions!

TIA,
Neil.

**