[Scottish] Suggestions/help with barcode scanner

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Fri Mar 19 10:57:31 GMT 2004

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 19-03-2004 10:45:41:

> Hi,
>
> Is this of any help?
>
> http://www.globalscan.com/symbol%20ls2000.htm
>
> It says you need a decoder to use it.  I installed Symbol scanners on a
> retail contract in 1998 and they plugged into an ISA decoder card
> inside the till.

Actually, the version I have is the 2020 - it says LS2000 on the front, but
the side label indicates that it is a LS2020, so according to that page:

"The LS2020 is a decoded scanner, therefore, it has a built-in RS232 wedge
which would enable this scanner to plug in directly to any RS232 serial
port. However, your application must know to initialize and open the serial
port and send the scanned data to the appropriate place within your
software. You can use PortKey Software for this purpose if your application
does not support this type of scanner. A special interface cable is
required in addition to the scanner. "

So it looks like I might be screwed software-wise, and hardware-wise :(

/me heads back to eBay