[Scottish] RICHAIR wireless workshop

Simon Yuill simon at lipparosa.org
Tue May 4 19:33:59 BST 2004

Hi William and Kyle,

These are both fair points/questions:

On Tuesday, May 4, 2004, at 06:00  pm, Kyle Gordon wrote:

> What effort have you made to involve local communities in this event?

There were some delays in confirming aspects of both events which meant
that it wasn't possible to send out publicity as soon as I would have
liked, for similar reasons it has also meant that, so far, they have
mainly been aimed at the more "obvious" audiences - ie. Linux groups,
indy media people and artists - who may also be around for the
MACHINISTA festival that they coincide with.

However ...

these two events are only really a taster, specifically intended to tie
in with MACHINISTA.  The main series of workshops I am organising will
take place later in the year, mostly around October. These will be
advertised more in advance and much more widely.

One of the things I'd like to get out of the FOSS Cafe event on the
Sunday is building up more informal contacts with people that will
enable me to widen the participants in the events beyond those
"obvious" groups I mentioned above.  Lowtech have been very successful
in involving local communities in Sheffield, where they are based, in
what they do, so one of my reasons for bringing James Wallbank up here
was to learn more about how they have achieved that at a practical
level.  If people on this list are interested in similar issues, and
seeing similar things happen here in Glasgow it would be good to hear
from you, and even better to meet, so if you can make it to Mono for
Sunday afternoon that would be great, otherwise get in touch and we can
meet some other time.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I hope some of you on this list will
be able to make it on Sunday or Monday and look forward to seeing you
if you do.

best wishes,
Si.