[Scottish] Anybody know a good text editor which can run in a browser

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Tue May 11 23:11:29 BST 2004

Hi all,

The subject says it all really - I want to be able to edit some text (code
actually) from a browser and post the data back to the server. I guess this
is the kind of thing which Java should be good for but typing 'Java code
editor applet' into Google turns up a LOT of noise (mostly tools for editing
java applets - not java applets for editing text).

There are no end of WYSIWYG editors (actually most of them are buttons stuck
in front of the editor buit-in to Microsoft's IE) but I really want to edit
PHP and javascript.

I did find netedit which is little more than a textarea with buttons on
(http://www.chipsoftinc.com/products/netEdit/). ViD looked promising
(http://www.oursland.net/vid/) but I don't get the cursor in the right place
in any of the browsers I've tried.

TIA,