[Scottish] Linux distro for mum?

M. Hasan Vazir h.vazir at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 21:13:57 GMT 2004

I have installed Ubuntu, painless install and very fast, but gnome only.
On the web, visiting web sites with java, flash and streaming
audio/video will need some configuration. I haven't been able to sort
some of it.
Suse on the other hand is pretty good and would recommend it. If all
else fails, install Knoppix, brilliant.

I haven't used it myself, but have heard good reviews for IBM
R40e,celeron, but apparently does the basics and is very sturdy.
Dell are pretty good at the moment, again I haven't bought any, but do
use it at work.
I think self-assemble is not any cheaper, but did help me get over the
fear of opening my machine. I suppose still good for machines with your
own specs.

Cheers

Hasan