[Scottish] Linux distro for mum?

Craig Perry Craig.Perry at t-mobile.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 09:06:22 GMT 2004

My mum uses debian, not that she knows or cares what it is, she wanted a
simple computer, couldn't afford a mac, so i put in debian, configured it,
now she can use it pretty much as a black box.

It's easy to switch on, use the word processor (open office), dial up to the
net, browse the web (she doesn't do this much), email, and print things. I
can remote admin via ssh, so if she has a problem she can call/email me.

It just works, i've never upgraded it since i installed it (if it aint
broke, dont fix it), and it runs much faster than WinME on the same
hardware.

If you look at a linux machine running Gnome (in this case 2.4), it is much
easier just to *use* than windows, it's the configuration that can be a pig,
but the actual usage is very logical. i.e. to run an application you click
the "applications" menu at the top. It is well designed.

I like the whole HCI stuff going on with gnome, i swear by the environment,
and the fact that its more stable than KDE *for me*