[Scottish] Linux training, Chateau projects

Magnus Lawrie m.lawrie at gmx.net
Fri Nov 26 14:04:16 GMT 2004

Hello,

An introduction:

One or two people here know me, Magnus, already. I am involved with
events and activites at The Chateau in Glasgow where I have established
a low cost media lab for use by the community of artists in these
studios (some 30 people). This has been achieved with the help of
individuals from ScotLUG and people connected through the YourMachines
workshops at the CCA (www.yourmachines.org).

The Chateau project:

Currently there are several recycled machines running Ubuntu. There is a
DHCP server (floppy distro) and a broadband connection. I want to
develop things further: introduce a web server, DMZ, maybe some greater
network transparency and at least one machine running video editing
software. A wireless node would also be a good addition.

A second project:

I am also investigating the possibility of providing low cost IT
solutions to individuals and small organisations in the third sector.

Here's the bit I am putting into a funding application to Scotland
Unlimited (http://www.unltd.org.uk/home.php). It's in no way to be taken
as a final business plan:

<<
I wish to undertake planning and development with the aim of
establishing a small business to offer low cost computer solutions to
small organisations in the voluntary and third sector. These solutions
will the make use of recycled hardware and use freely available,
co-operatively developed Open Source software, such as Linux; the web
browser Firefox and the range of office applications available from
Openoffice.

The consultancy will aim to develop a range of packaged solutions: from
standalone computers for the single user, to multiple shared terminals
operating in networked environments. In many cases this means not only
the provision of individual workstations, but also of server machines,
which act as a secure gateway (or filter) for information travelling in
and out of the local network, usually to the internet.

By using low-cost and free software as well as recycled hardware,
individuals and organisations with small budgets will get cheap but
reliable solutions. I anticipate that in many case this will release
money for two things: thorough analysis of the client’s requirements;
ongoing training for users, so that they learn to work productively with
all the tools at their disposal.

Questions:

For the second project, I don't have all the skills to do these things
yet but I want to develop them (Linux-wise I am a novice). I have been
asked for the funding application to propose a training path that would
help me in developing Linux skills, so I am emailing now to ask for your
opinions and suggestions on where to go, who to ask. I may be able to
ask for up to £1000, but preferably less. I am asked to receive the
training ideally through a community organisation (i.e. not a training
consultancy).

Connected, but maybe less formal is The Chateau project which is pretty
much open to suggestions. I was wondering about the possibility of
running an install day there. Maybe someone would also spare some time
to give hands on help or just advise.

Hope this is clear enough. I'll be happy to supply any further
information. Looking forward to your responses.

Regards,

Magnus Lawrie