[Scottish] "FOSS tools for artists" - a talk by Derek Holzer, Glasgow

Simon Yuill simon at lipparosa.org
Sun Nov 28 18:24:37 GMT 2004

"FOSS tools for artists"
a talk by Derek Holzer

Tuesday 30th November, 7pm
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall St., Glasgow, G2 3JD
free

"In my work as an artist in digital media, I have found that ideas from
the
FOSS (Free Open Source Software) programming community--such as the
collaboration of different systems, the distribution of specialized
tasks and
the unrestricted sharing of both processes and products--fit in very
well with
my ideas of how art can be made, and how people can work together. In
this
talk, I will discuss various projects I am involved in, how they relate
to the
FOSS ethos, and give an overview of some of the various Free + Open
Source
tools for artists which comes out of this very active community."
- Derek Holzer

ABOUT THE ARTIST:

Derek Holzer
http://www.umatic.nl/info_derek.html
http://www.visiblesound.nl/

Holzer [USA 1972] is a sound and radio artist with a background in free
radio, net.radio and streaming media technologies. Recently, his work
has
focused on capturing and transforming small, unnoticed sounds from
various
natural and urban locations, on the electromagnetic resonances in our
everyday environment, and on the use of free software such as Linux and
Pure Data for collaborative projects. He is currently based in the
Netherlands.

The talk is part of the YOUR MACHINES project:

http://www.yourmachines.org

Derek is also speaking as part of Variant's "THIS IS SERBIA CALLING",
on Wednesday 1st December, 7pm onwards, CCA upstairs bar.