[Scottish] Compiling and installing a second vanilla kernel

Andrew Thomas Andrew.Thomas at sli-institute.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 16:23:16 BST 2005

Hello

I'm a linux newbie, and I'm trying to compile and install a second vanilla kernel so I can use this to build some device driver code. The Linux device drivers book advises me to do this.

I am using SUSE 9.2 on my system. I have downloaded the latest kernel, but when I try to do a make menuconfig, or make XXXX I get the following error:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.12.3/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc: command not found
/usr/src/linux-2.6.12.3/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc: command not found
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 127
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

Can anyone tell me why this is?
Thanks

Andy