[Scottish] Compiling and installing a second vanilla kernel

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Tue Aug 9 09:35:38 BST 2005

> I had assumed that GCC would be installed with SUSE, so it caught me
> off guard! Is it just me, or is it quite strange that GCC is not
> installed by default?

I don't know how common it is now, but a few years back almost all of the
RPM-based distributions regarded GCC as a 'development' tool, and thus
placed it in the 'Development' section of packages, meaning that the
majority of desktop users didn't have it installed by default. These days
it tends to be less of an issue, because people are using package managers
a lot more, and thus don't actually need to compile stuff anymore.

Ben