[Scottish] [Fwd: [Backnet] Event this Wednesday]

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Mon Dec 5 15:40:52 GMT 2005

Kyle Gordon wrote:
> Thought this may interest some of you.
>
> Kyle

/me checks his sent folder - _CHECK_ - there _is_ an attachment there

fucks sake not only can this ass-backwards crock of shit run by
lug.org.uk not handle gpg sigs, it can't even handle a fucking
attachment. Piss poor headbanging shitness _again_ from the lug.org.uk guys.

Here it is.

Hello all -
There is an event taking place this Wednesday, December 7 at 6:30 PM,
upstairs at the Waverley pub, that I thought would be of some interest
to backnetters.

Berlin-based artist Michelle Teran will be discussing her work that
focuses on the use of wireless surveillance cameras within public and
private places that transmit on the 2.4 Ghz frequency band.  She
intercepts the signals on this band with a consumer model video scanner,
and conducts walks through cities where she reveals the images being
captured by cameras inside buildings.

This is the launch of a series of events called "Poker Club".  Full
details on the talk are below. Hope to see you there!
Cheers,
MK
-----
The Launch of the Poker Club!

In a nod to the Scottish Enlightenment, when Adam Smith and David Hume
gathered to discuss big ideas over a glass of claret at the original
Poker Club, New Media Scotland is launching its own series of events
under this venerable name (which refers to a fireplace poker for
"stirring things up", not card games, we're afraid). These events will
be held in the same environment as the original Poker Club - in the pubs
of Edinburgh , where there is an endless supply of bar napkins to jot
down inspirational notes and ideas. Our first Poker Club will be held
upstairs at the Waverley (3-5 St. Mary's St., in the Old Town ) on
Wednesday 7th December, at 6:30 PM, free admission. Berlin-based artist
Michelle Teran will be in conversation with Clive Gillman, Director of
Dundee Contemporary Arts. The topic at hand will be the ever-present eye
of the surveillance camera, and in this context, Michelle will discuss
her performance work with live images snatched from surveillance cameras
and presented to passersby. The conversation will be lively, and you are
encouraged to cut in with your questions and comments. At the Poker
Club, everything is up for debate and discussion!

For more on Michelle Teran: http://www.ubermatic.org/life
Michelle's talk is presented in partnership with Stills:
http://www.stills.org

--
Kyle Gordon
kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com