[Scottish] (is there anyone who can) HELP ? ! !

t68i at ntlworld.com t68i at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 11 23:50:27 GMT 2005

Hi - good to hear that you're wanting to run Linux: welcome to the only true
and shining path!

Having said that...

I had problems running SuSE 9.1 too. I've been running Linux for years (back
to Red Hat 7.2) and without doubt, SuSE 9.1 was the biggest disappointment.

First thing I had to do was download about 100 Mb of system fixes from the
website - not fun on a 56k dial-up line. I didn't have any problems with the
modem, but then I had it working already from a previous install. My biggest
bugbear was the USB system - it had big problems recognising and handling USB
memory keys until the fixes were applied, and after it was 'fixed' I still
didn't like the way it worked. Still, it did work reliably, so OK then.

You don't say if you have bought SuSE discs or if your are using the download
version. If you bought the discs, then get a new disc 1 from your supplier:
if the download, then download another or get a friend to: I can't see you
getting a system going on just disc 2 - disc 1 usually has all the essential
stuff.

As an alternative, why not look at Linux Format magazine or one of the others
out there: December 2004 had Mandrake 10.1 (which is excellent and a dawdle
to install), this month's has Fedora 3 (which is also very good).

If you don't want to do that, go online to http://www.ubuntulinux.org and fill
in the order form: they will send you out a free copy of their Ubuntu
distribution, which I have found installs easilly and gives you a good
starting system: it can also be upgraded to a full Debian install if you have
the motivation, skills and bandwidth (at present, I have none of these...).

Anyway, don't give up. Getting into Linux is sometimes a bit rough on the
nerves, but there is good help out there in the community and you can at
least find documentation for just about anything you want to know.

Good luck,

Neil