[Scottish] Re: WiFi Card

Will Partain partain at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 09:58:26 GMT 2005

Craig Perry <Craig.Perry at t-mobile.co.uk> writes:

> I know this was discussed recently but i didn't pay any attention. What 54g
> wifi cards are available that work with linux and cost less than two arms
> and half a leg?

A harder problem than you think.  Reason: the manufacturer of card
Foo123 will happily change chipsets in the device without changing the
model number (or giving any clue whatsoever).  Thus, a card believed
to be working with one of the drivers (e.g. Prism54) will not work at
all (because they changed the chipset).

There's the 'ndiswrapper' driver, which lets you use the Windows
driver for the card, but even that is no sure thing.

An option to consider (if circumstances and wallet fit) is to buy a
wireless Ethernet bridge (usually marketed as "wireless gaming
adapter").  The Linux box (or a hub full of them) plugs into the
Ethernet port -- no wirelessness to worry about at all -- and let the
bridge shoot all the packets up to your (wireless) router.

Will